Friday 9 December 2011

My virtual backpack

My virtual back pack contains over 10 years hands on experience in the child care industry. I am a full time university student, mother, step mother, wife and part time Educator at Kitiwah Place

I have four children aged:  8 years, 6 years, 4 years and 18 months. I have two step son's aged 4 years and 5 years.  The 5 year old has been diagnosed with Aspergers and the 4 years old has been diagnosed with Autism.   My children and I have shared so many precious memories and they have taught me more than I could have ever imagined.

Is see being an Early Childhood Educator as a privilege.  As a teacher you never cease to learn - and that in itself is a lesson!

This course has changed my perceptions of childhood and the challenges involved and made me a more equipped Educator and mother.

Kristy Day (Me!)
Photo taken at Kitiwah Place Early Learning Centre on 9 December 2011


Be the change you wish to see reflected in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Starting out in the child care industry was far from glamorous!  I applied for the position of Assistant, however I was given my first paid job in child care as a cleaner and lunch relief.  I worked my way up the ladder to assistant, then group leader, 2 IC, family day care provider, Director and now striving for qualified Early Childhood Educator.  My children have always been right along side me the entire time.  I was fortunate enough to be able to breast feed at work and be in the same room of at least one of my children.  I know what it is like to be on the flip side of the coin!

I have chosen 3 challenges that affect me directly as an Early Childhood Educator; diversity, behaviour issues and the introduction of the emergent curriculum that includes real life situations.  I was hard to pinpoint the most challenging issues I face as there are so many challenges Early Childhood Educators are faced with daily, though I have chosen three that I have struggled personally with throughout my employment in early childhood settings.  The first thing I had to realise was that my adult perspective is very different to that of a child's young perspective. 

Constructivist Portfolios
“ The portfolio is a learning environment in
which the learner constructs meaning. It
assumes that meaning varies across
individuals, over time, and with purpose. The
portfolio presents process, a record of the
processes associated with learning itself; a
summation of individual portfolios would be
too complex for normative description.”
F. Leon Paulson & Pearl Paulson (1994) 
Come with me and explore my portfolio 
 
Please view my resume for more experience to add into my virtual backpack:

Appendix one
Kristy Leigh Day
Fully Qualified Director

Address: 84 Furness Road
                GYMPIE QLD 4570
Phone: 0404 524 385
Date of Birth: 10 December 1980

Personal
I am definitely the person for your vacancy! I am very dedicated to my work, competent and reliable. My enthusiasm for my work is displayed through happy families, children, team members and authority figures.
I am a leader - focused, approachable and hard working. I have over 10 years hands on experience in the industry and a wealth of knowledge.  

Education
Year Twelve - Noosa District State High School 1998
Certificate Three Child care - Community Services 2004 - TAFE
Diploma Childcare - Sunshine Coast TAFE 2006
Advanced Diploma Childcare - ACCCO 2010
Bachelor of Learning Management Early Childhood – Currently studying at CQ University Noosa – To date over half way through my degree

Employment History Child Care industry
Pied Piper Child Care Centre Noosa Bushlands 2000 - 2002
Pied Piper welcomed me into the child care industry in which I excelled and flourished. I learnt enormous hands on skills and the importance of routine - but also the ability to be flexible. How each child is different and unique - but they all have a common desire - the need to feel loved. Happiness and safety create a happy and safe environment! I explored lunch relief, relief assistant roles and assisted the director with tasks. I realise the duties and responsibilities involved in this field, and feel confident that I posses extensive knowledge in Child Care industry and all the wonders it offers. 

Tewantin Early Learning Centre 2003 - 2005
I completed my Certificate Three in 2004 and immediately commenced study towards my Diploma. I was initially hired as lunch relief and within 2 months was the assistant in the Toddler room. I involved myself in the Centre, learning the traits of each room, networking with parents and helping children develop and learn to the highest. With such a thirst to learn and through exceptional performance I was then promoted to Group Leader in the Kindy.

Kitiwah Place Early Learning Centre Gympie
5 years of employment - Current employment
A brand new Centre! I worked along side the owner/directors to build up a reputable Centre. Hired as Group Leader in the Nursery, I spent 2 full years in the room but was also sought out to be second in charge when the directors were absent. Kitiwah expanded my train of thought by teaching me to think outside the box and challenging myself. My duties included: Creating a room from scratch - including putting into place a room routine, yearly goals and program. Training both University and TAFE students, assisting with policies and procedures review (Nappy change, fire drill and staff hand book). Using my personal time to select and return toys from the toy library, and create photos galleries and scrap books for children and families. Stand in director duties included: Accepting payments, taking families through enrolment process and guided tour of Centre. Finding relief staff to cover staff absences and taking phone calls. After taking a break to pursue other avenues, I have returned as the Centre’s 2IC. I work as the Pre Prep Group Senior Educator using emergent curriculum as the basis of my programming and reside in the office when the owners request they take time off. ‘Photos speak a thousand words’ and I use photography to capture many precious developmental areas and moments in each child’s learning.  Photographs are used for observations, documentation and to assist with extending on children’s interests. 

My program is run by extending off children’s interests, parental input and community involvement and partnerships.  I believe in the Reggio Emilia approach and share the vision that children learn through play.  

Cooloola Family Day Care 2007 - 2008
I spent the 10 months in the Family Day Care setting working from home caring for other children as well as my own. It is a unique style of care having the comfort of working from home. It has been a great time in which I have challenged myself to go above and beyond what is expected of the industry. The children have flourished with the better child: carer ratios. The children and families are very comfortable within the care setting. I like to think I’ve taken the best features of a centre setting and FDC setting and come up with my unique style called ‘Kristy’s Kids Family Day Care.’

Mary Valley Child Care 2008-2009
As a contact Director I discovered the best of both Worlds! Keeping a 55 place Centre organised has been a wealth of information. For over 12 months I: Directed the Centre through accreditation, updated and created policies and procedures, created newsletters on a monthly basis, organised and run staff meetings, rosters, advertising the Centre, quadrupled the Centre’s weekly takings, trained students, transitioned the Centre to CCMS and guided staff in positive ways including educating staff of the importance of involving ourselves in professional development. I have also worked directly with Fire Safety and Dept of Education, Arts and Training through spot checks and visits. I have organised visitors to the Centre including the SES (published in the Gympie times), local Gympie Photographer for yearly Centre photos and Old MacDonald’s Farm. I am responsible for the daily running of the office - including taking payments, balancing the banking on a weekly basis, using Quikkids system, welcoming new families into the Centre, marking the attendances and submitting to DEEWR for payment. I have found much pleasure in this role.
Thank you for spending the time getting to know my past, my present and I hope to be happily working for you in the future!

Referees

Christine Douglas
(Current team member of Kitiwah Place)
1 Cogan street
Gympie 4570
Phone: 0407 676 571

If you would like any more referees please contact me and I would be happy to assist you.  I also have written references from my years in the Children’s services field. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I want to share a testimony on how Le_Meridian funding service helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is UK/USA funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Or lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp 1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete